Leeds Rhinos Foundation and Leeds City College are pleased to announce an open trial event on Tuesday 25th June for their ground-breaking new Category 3 Rugby League Academy.
The trials will take place at Leeds Rugby Academy, Kirkstall, and are available to all students who are enrolled on a course for 2019-20 at Leeds City College.
The Category 3 Academy programme, which will launch in September, has been developed to allow 16-19-year-old learners to combine their academic studies at the college whilst taking part in the Rhinos’ world class rugby league performance pathway. This follows a successful 2018-19 campaign, as the side won the AoC Yorkshire League title for the first time with a record-high points total.
Prospective players will have the opportunity to showcase their talents and put their hands up to be considered for the Category 3 Academy squad at the start of the academic year. This could include;
• 16-19-year-olds at community clubs who want to play and train as the professional academies do, alongside their studies.
• Someone previously overlooked by scholarship/academy programmes who have a desire to enter a pathway back to professional rugby league.
• Players leaving scholarships with no Under 19s Academy opportunities for the upcoming season – a chance to put yourselves back into the shop window.
• Current 16-19-year old college students whose school or college offers little or no Rugby League opportunities.
• Athletes from other sports who fancy a new challenge.
Dan Hardy, Head of College Rugby at Leeds Rhinos Foundation, said: “From next year the college are on course to field two teams as part of the overall partnership with Leeds City College and Leeds Rhinos. Primarily, the new Category 3 Academy will head up the programme and participate in the College Premier Division and supporting this will be our Development Squad who will contest in the highly competitive Yorkshire League.
“This structure is vitally imported to help support the depth of talent within the college and offer all students, regardless of their course, the chance to be involved with rugby league in some capacity.
“I am incredibly excited to see what the students can do following the success and high standard of players seen at the programme launch back in April. They are ‘’open” which means anyone at the college can come down and see what’s on offer.”
To sign up for the Category 3 Academy open trial on Tuesday 25th June, go to www.leedsrhinoscat3.eventbrite.com and complete the entry form.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.