Leeds Rhinos Foundation has now opened registration for any players interested in taking part in the Under 14s, 15s, 16s and 18s North vs South Player Development Series this summer.
Last year, the Leeds Rhinos Foundation, in partnership with Hunslet RL Foundation, launched the pioneering Rugby League development programme for players not connected to a professional club scholarship or academy. The programme is aimed at those looking to take their next steps towards furthering their Rugby League careers and gives an opportunity for players to showcase their talents to some of the region’s top coaches.
The series will feature the most promising young stars currently participating in community or school rugby across the city. The players will be split into two teams, representing the age old rivalry of the North/South Leeds divide in relation to the River Aire.
Last year saw a number of players from the programme progress up the player pathway, including the Leeds Rhinos Development Academy in partnership with Leeds City College. Taylor Stephenson also signed professional terms with the Rhinos academy, despite not being on a scholarship programme prior to his involvement on the North V South programme.
This exciting six-week development programme will be fully aligned to the Rhinos Talent Pathway with opportunities for progression, providing a unique chance for the stars of tomorrow to experience training in a professional environment and play two competitive fixtures in top class venues (full details to be confirmed).
The following criteria must be met for any players wishing to enrol on the North vs South Player Development Series for 2023:
- Under 14s- open to all current Year 9 students with a Leeds home postcode or registered with a Leeds-based community club.
- Under 15s- open to all current Year 10 students with a Leeds home postcode or registered with a Leeds-based community club.
- Under 16s- open to all current Year 11 students with a Leeds home postcode or registered with a Leeds-based community club.
- Under 18s- open to all current Year 12 and 13 students with a Leeds home postcode or registered with a Leeds Rhinos Ambassador Club.
- Under 18s players currently playing Open Age or College Rugby League are also encouraged to sign up for this programme.
- Players must not currently be on Scholarship or Academy terms with a professional or semi-professional club.
- Teams will be provided with a North Leeds or South Leeds playing shirt, with players wearing their club or school team’s shorts and socks ‘barbarian style’ to celebrate the community game.
To register on this programme, a £20 registration fee per player applies, but this will include both a training t-shirt and match day polo. Anyone who does not pay the registration fee will not be registered on the programme. Any Parents/Guardians who are experiencing financial difficulty and unable to pay the registration fee can email firstname.lastname@example.org
Registrations open on Tuesday 2nd May 2023 and will close on Monday 5th June 2023.
To sign up, please CLICK HERE.