The main objective of the course is to demonstrate the importance of school to young people's future in the primary setting and show a clear correlation between low attendance and academic achievement.
We also highlight the relationship between low attendance and potential wider social problems which could have an adverse effect on a young person's life. The course introduces and develops discussion around themes such as team building, being a healthy student, positive relationships, bullying and understanding emotions.
Leeds Rhinos Foundation endeavor to empower young people by giving them information to make positive life choices. We are fully aware that at this age parents / guardians play a major role in young people attending school but we believe through our engagement with young people in the school setting we can create a more positive relationship with young people and the importance of attending school. The primary school attendance programme has five themed weeks with the sixth week being a celebration / incentive related event either at the school or at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.
Outlined below are some of the issues our programme explores with young people which currently work in alignment with schools PHSE objectives.
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
• Get to know the group and the group to get to know each other.
• Young people will identify a range of barriers to attendance.
• Through games and discussion, the young people will highlight a number of issues around school attendance.
• Explore ways an unhealthy lifestyle can impact on attendance.
• Explore what health is in a general sense.
• Discover ways to live a healthy lifestyle to aid in attendance.
• Explore what young people view as important in relationships.
• Identify what a healthy relationship is.
• Impact on the young people's ideas of good relationships and where you could go for help.
• To identify different forms of bullying.
• Gain a better understanding of different forms of bullying.
• Explore what you can do to get help/keep safe
• Investigate and identify different emotions.
• Explore what is an appropriate response to the corresponding emotions.
• Discuss and develop coping mechanisms for the identified emotions
The programme has been piloted across a number of schools over the last year in which we have seen many positive outcomes for young people both in terms of actual increases in attendance at school and wider community outcomes.
COST: £450 - THE COURSE WILL BE AVAILABLE FROM SEPTEMBER
For more details contact Adam.Lunn@leedsrhinosfoundation.org